Monday, July 16, 2007

I've been tagged!

Image credits: turtblu
What is your blogger name and URL?
My real name is Phil Willis, but I blog as Down Under Knight at
downunderknight.blogspot.com

How did you learn about the circles?
I saw Rapid Chess Improvement in the Barnes and Noble just near Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia.

It was just over the street from where I used to play some of the locals in the park. I don't think I won any money, but I did have a lot of fun.

When did you learn about the circles?
My history of attempting the seven circles of chess tactics looks something like this:
  • Nov 2003 - Seven Circles using CT-ART (failed)
  • Dec 2004 - Seven Circles using Bain (failed)
  • Apr 2005 - Seven Circles using Hays (failed)
  • Feb 2006 - Seven Circles using CT-ART (failed)
  • Jan 2007 - Seven Circles using Bain (success)
  • Jun 2007 - Seven Circles using Hays (in progress)

  • How long have you been going through the circles or how long did it take if you finished?
    It took me 34 days to work through the 400+ relatively easy problems in Bain. By the last circle, I could do the entire problem set in about an hour.

    How is your progress?
    I've been pretty consistent (surprising for me!) and I haven't missed a day. Although now I am venturing in to the territory where the urge to quit is strong.

    Does working with the circles alone work for chess improvement, or is it more helpful to join the Knights?
    Joining the Knights and blogging about it means that I have more reason not to give up, but having said that - I was able to finish one series of seven circles without their help. All I needed was four failed attempts. ;)

    Are you a scholastic player?
    No - but I've been beaten by plenty of them. ;)

    Would you recommend the circles to a scholastic player?
    Sure, but I'd make two points.

    Firstly, scholastic players probably have more time available to devote to chess study than middle-aged working guys with wives and families and lives (and all that jazz). So the time commitment required might be easier for them.

    Secondly, practice needs to be fun, otherwise it's just another chore a kid needs to do - like making the bed and stacking the dishwasher. If they can get past those issues - it would be great for a young person learning chess to do.

    Do you use other training methods to supplement the circles?
    I don't do too much other chess specific training - other than play in OTB tournaments regularly to practice what I've learned. For me the other essential training comes from meditation, running and playing other games like poker, Scrabble and video games.

    Any general comments about chess training or the circles?
    I can't claim any credit for naming these elements, but I have to thank my former chess coach
    Dan Heisman for listing what he calls the "big five":

  • Safety - (in other words "tactics")
  • Piece Activity - use all your pieces
  • Thought Process - play real chess
  • Time Management - use all your time every game
  • General Guidelines


  • Heisman believes if you don't do all of those reasonably well, then you're automatically making improvement much harder for yourself.

    For example, if you are tactically brilliant, but your thought process doesn't include looking for unstoppable threats from your opponent then obviously doing an extra 100 hours of tactical study will not cure that problem.

    Check out the whole article
    here.

    Who is next to be tagged?
    I tag
    The Retired Pawn.

    No comments: