Monday, July 2, 2007

Day 1 of Circle 2

First day of the second circle of Hays, and I was very interested to see if I would remember any of the positions that I had seen nearly a month ago.

As it turns out - I did!

It's amazing. I was looking at tactical problems that I had answered incorrectly in the first circle, recognising them and knowing what to do next.

"I think this one was about pushing a pawn to shift his bishop." Correct!

"I think this one needs his pawn out of the way so I have an open line to his undefended queen." Correct!

When I got to the end of the seven circles of John Bain's book I could instantly recognise each of the positions and select the correct tactic. I'm hoping I can do the same for this problem set - because they are quite a bit harder.

5 comments:

Blue Devil Knight said...

Cool beans. My pet peeve is when I remember, absolutely clearly, the problem and that I got it incorrect the last time, but still have no idea what the right move is. I actually end up remembering the incorrect move I did last time...Ack.

To counter this pattern-recognition without correct-move-recognition, once I am corrected by the program (in your case book answer) I make the correct first move really quickly in my mind about five to ten times. This seems to help a little bit.

Phil Willis said...

I like your idea of rehearsing the correct answer a few times to "bang it into your head".

I'll have to try that.

Another thing I've been doing - although not that consistently - is to look at the problems I got wrong some time later in the day and rehearsing the correct answer.

Thanks for the comment.

Temposchlucker said...

If you remember the correct answers from the previous circle that means that you have stored them in your long term memory. Which is the most important criterium for doing a problem.

transformation said...

welcome aboard, mate. feel free to stop by, please... and see you around. i never met an australian that i did not like.

have you tried chess tactical server, aka CTS? not all, but many of us swear by it. BDK doesnt like it, but i love it, tempo had for a long time, wormwood loves it, like forests loves it, loomis, etc.

chess.emrald.net

let me know if you need any help, please.

warmly, dk
in seattle, usa

Blue Devil Knight said...

One nice thing about CTB is that it remembers what problems you got wrong so you can review them.