Friday, June 29, 2007

Nothing new under the sun

I'm a newbie.

There - I said it.

Within seconds of posting my last blog on thought process and Dan Heisman's concept of real chess I stopped by Confessions of a Chess Novice and found myself firmly in the category of "newbie".

True - I was not the first person to discover it (and I'm glad), but now might be a good time to make some disclosures.

While I was living in Philadelphia I had Dan Heisman as a chess coach for about two years and I can't speak highly enough of him. He's a good friend and a brilliant coach with a real knack of getting to the core of the problem. So that's where I heard of "real chess" for the first time - from the horses mouth.

If I do anything well as a result of his coaching it is time management. Dan's is still the voice inside my head telling me to "use all your time".

Yes - it does bring to mind the voice of Obi-wan in Luke Skywalker's ear: "Use the force, Luke".

But next post - some more on my new thought process. I promise.

No comments: